Monday 1 June 2015

I have never probability

Ok, so honestly I haven't done this one yet, but it occurred to me whilst doing writing down probability with Year 7 today. Admittedly it would be for relatively low prior attaining but talk about engaging! Count up how many kids in the room and then throw out some "I have never..." statements and get kids to stand up if they have never done something; then get the kids sitting down to put the associated probability on a mini-whiteboard or similar. An alternative might be to test some statements against probabilities sourced on the internet to see how close they are in your class? Here are some possible statements I came up with:

a) I have never flown in an aeroplane.
b) I have never been to a live concert.
c) I have never been to a live sporting event.
d) I have never broken a bone.
e) I have never been abroad.
f) I have never been camping.
g) I have never done the ironing.
h) I have never been on a train
i) I have never ridden a horse.
j) I have never been ice skating.

I am sure I could come up with more if I really thought about it. Think I have my starter for tomorrow!(Or if I can find some way to tie in mutually exclusive/exhaustive events I might use it during the lesson).

No comments:

Post a Comment